Dispatch and logistics
Want to talk with us?

    The Motor Carrier (MC) and Department of Transportation (DOT) numbers are essential for US truckers. These numbers provide the necessary registrations, authorizations, and qualifications for truckers and motor carriers, enabling them to operate legally in the US.

    The MC and DOT numbers are used by law enforcement to identify and track motor carriers, as well as by customers. This article will discuss MC/DOT numbers and how you can obtain them for your trucking business.

    What is a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)?

    A commercial motor vehicle (CMV) is any type of vehicle that transports goods or passengers for hire. This includes buses, trucks, vans, and trailers. All CMVs must register with the FMCSA and obtain a Motor Carrier Number (MC number) before conducting interstate commerce business.

    MC Numbers

    What Are MC Numbers?

    MC numbers, also known as Motor Carrier Identification Numbers, are issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). They are unique codes assigned to motor carriers transporting goods and people in interstate commerce.

    The exact format of MC numbers may vary, but all use the letter “M” followed by six digits. MC numbers must be visible on all vehicles used for interstate commerce.

    Who Must Have an MC Number?

    Any US motor carrier involved in interstate commerce must have an MC number. This includes trucking companies, transportation brokers, freight forwarders, and leasing companies.

    An MC number is required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and then be able to legally operate as a motor carrier, broker, or forwarder.

    What Are DOT Numbers?

    DOT numbers, or Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs), are issued by the FMCSA to each vehicle used to transport passengers or cargo in interstate commerce. They are unique codes composed of 17 characters, including letters and numbers. 

    The exact format may vary, but all use the letters “DOT” followed by nine digits. DOT numbers must be visible on all vehicles used for interstate commerce.

    Who Must Have a DOT Number?

    Any vehicle used to transport goods or passengers in interstate commerce must have a DOT number. This includes trucks, buses, vans, and trailers. A DOT number is required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and then be able to legally operate a vehicle in interstate commerce.

    The DOT number is used to track and monitor the safety performance of all motor carriers. Without a DOT number, it is illegal for any company to operate a commercial motor vehicle in the U.S., so getting an MC number is essential for any motor carrier that wants to stay compliant.

    How to Obtain an MC/DOT Number?

    To obtain an MC number, motor carriers must register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The process requires filling out an application form, which can be accessed online through FMCSA’s website.

    In most cases, applicants must provide proof of financial responsibility through a liability insurance policy. The carrier must also submit proof of workers’ compensation insurance or a valid exemption certificate. Additional documentation may also be required depending on the type of services that will be performed.

    After applying, it typically takes 2-3 weeks for FMCSA to process the paperwork and issue the MC number. FMCSA will also issue a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) number when approved. This is a significant distinction since the DOT number will be used on all Weight Distance Tax Reports and other forms that need to be submitted to the FMCSA.

    Once an MC and DOT number have been issued, motor carriers must maintain both numbers in good standing. This involves submitting reports and documents, such as the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) for fee payment, to the FMCSA. Motor carriers must also keep their insurance information up-to-date and comply with state and federal regulations. Failure to do so can lead to hefty fines, suspension of the motor carrier’s registration, and other penalties.

    For those who are new to the industry, obtaining an MC/DOT number can seem like a daunting task. However, with the proper preparation and understanding of the process, it doesn’t have to be complicated.

    Is It the Same as a DOT Number?

    No, MC numbers and DOT numbers are not the same. The FMCSA issues the MC number, but the states issue the DOT number. The MC number (Motor Carrier Number) identifies motor carriers operating in interstate commerce, while the DOT number tracks vehicles in all 50 states.

    The Difference Between MC and DOT Numbers

    There are several differences between MC and DOT numbers. The main difference is that an MC number is issued to motor carriers while a DOT number is issued to vehicles. The MC number is used to identify motor carriers operating in interstate commerce, while the DOT number is used to track vehicles in all 50 states.

    The MC number is also used for the motor carrier’s registration and identification of cargo, while DOT numbers are only used to identify specific vehicles. An MC number will remain the same for all motor carriers’ vehicles, while each vehicle must have its unique DOT number.

    In addition, the MC number is used to track and monitor motor carriers’ safety performance, while the DOT number is only used for administrative purposes. Motor carriers must maintain an MC number in good standing to remain compliant with state and federal regulations, while DOT numbers are optional and should be kept up-to-date.

    What Happens After I Get a USDOT Number?

    Once you have obtained your MC/DOT numbers, you will register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and complete their safety compliance registration process. This includes submitting your MCS-150 form, providing proof of financial responsibility, and registering for the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse.

    Once registered with the FMCSA, you can apply for operating authority. Depending on your type of business, you will also need to register with the state(s) where you plan to operate.

    Finally, you must obtain a USDOT number decal that must be posted on all commercial motor vehicles. You must also register your vehicles with the state to display a license plate and obtain an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) sticker.

    Which States Require Intrastate Carriers to Obtain a USDOT Number?

    Each state has its regulations regarding the requirement for intrastate carriers to obtain a USDOT number. Generally speaking, most states require intrastate carriers to obtain a USDOT number if they are transporting hazardous materials or passengers or have a fleet of more than one vehicle.

    We Help First-Time Applicants Secure FleetCare Trucking Authority

    FleetCare specializes in helping first-time applicants obtain MC/DOT numbers and all the necessary authorizations to operate as a motor carrier, broker, or forwarder. We have streamlined the process of getting all the required documents, so you don’t have to search for them.

    We also offer comprehensive trucking insurance packages and provide ongoing support to our clients as they navigate the complex regulations of operating a motor carrier.

    If you’re looking to start your own trucking business or expand your current fleet, FleetCare can help you get the authority and permits necessary to do so quickly and easily.

    We Want Existing Carriers To Receive a Motor Carrier Number

    At FleetCare, we understand the importance of staying compliant with all FMCSA regulations. That’s why we provide comprehensive services to existing carriers who need to renew or update their MC/DOT numbers.

    Our team is highly knowledgeable and experienced in the trucking industry, so we can help you get all the necessary documents as quickly as possible. We also have access to exclusive insurance packages that can help you get the coverage you need for your fleet.

    We strive to make obtaining and renewing your MC/DOT number straightforward, so you can focus on running your business.

    Trust Us For All Your Trucking Authority Needs

    FleetCare is the go-to source for all your trucking authority needs. Whether you’re a first-time applicant or an experienced motor carrier, we can help you get the documents and insurance coverage necessary to comply with all FMCSA regulations.

    Our trucking experts are here to help you every step of the way, so don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need assistance with your MC/DOT number application. We look forward to helping you get the trucking authority you need! services for your dispatch needs

    We are honest, reliable, and transparent, and we have already come up with a way to make the dispatch process as quick and easy as possible.

    Latest News

    Frequently Asked Questions

    MC/DOT is software designed for truck drivers that covers all aspects of dispatching, including load tracking, billing, and communication. The software manages various operations relevant to dispatching and helps drivers streamline their processes.

    MC/DOT software comes with a variety of features to help truck drivers save time and money. Some of the benefits include streamlined dispatching processes, load planning, and integrated billing. It helps drivers maintain a record of their income and expenses.

    We take pride in the quality of our customer support. You can contact our support team 24/7 via phone or email. Our professional technicians will help you resolve any issue you encounter while using MC/DOT.

    MC/DOT software stands out from its competitors for its variety of features. It covers all aspects of dispatching, from load tracking to billing and communication. It is a comprehensive solution for all your dispatching needs.

    Google reviews